We’ve recently discovered our local farmers market and we’ve been trying to go almost every weekend. We’re finding tons of great fresh produce, as well as access to grass-fed and free-range meat, which can be difficult to find in stores sometimes.
This past trip we came home with some green tomatoes and just had to cook up a bunch of fried green goodness.
Go ahead and drool-its okay.
Fried Green Tomatoes
(you can add a variety of spices to your recipe, but we kept it simple)
2 or 3 green tomatoes
1. Slice up your green tomatoes. Meanwhile heat about a half inch of oil in a pan.
2. Beat together the egg and milk in a bowl.
3. Mix the flour, salt and pepper in another small bowl.
4. When the oil is hot, dip the tomato slices in the egg/milk mixture, then in the flour mixture and drop in the pan of hot oil.
5. Cook for several minutes on each side until the flour coating is brown and cooked, but not burnt.
6. Turn out on a paper towel lined plate to absorb the extra oil. When slightly cooled, put on a plate and garnish with sour cream or other favorite dipping sauce.